Thursday, March 23, 2006

Excited about reading a book I remember liking

I am excited about reading a book I read before. It's entitled, "Blue Like Jazz." I don't recall the content but I remember liking the book a great deal. I just ran across it again. I opened it up and found this "Author's Note" just before the first chapter:

I never liked jazz music becaue it doesn't resolve. But I was outside the
Bagdad Theater in Portland one night when I saw a man playing the saxophone. I stood there for fifteen minutes, and he never opened his eyes.

After that I liked jazz music.

Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way.

I use to not like God because God didn't resolve. But that was way before this happened.

Oh, that resonates with my soul. I get weighed down when it seems that getting the rules right is what God is all about. I don't really like God when I feel like God is all about the rules.

But watching Jesus love God really hits me in my heart. And then watching other people love Jesus -- not the rules, not their resolved idea of Jesus -- in an ever growing and changing discovery of where Christ leads us and how wonderfully he leads us. Strange, new, beautiful sounds coming out of people's souls. Unexpected harmonies of humans lives where nobody thought they could exist.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to reading "Blue Like Jazz" again. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. Other books you might like.

    "Making room for life" by Randy Frazee, author of the book "The connecting Church"

    ReplyDelete